JERRY SLOAN RESIGNS


JERRY SLOAN RESIGNS: Saying "it's time to move on," Jerry Sloan has officially announced his surrender as chief coach of the Utah Jazz after 23 years in an emotional press conference in Salt Lake City. The head coach said he long thought to resign after the Jazz lost to the Bulls last night, slept on it and finally made his decision this morning.
"When all is said it does, it's just a matter of me deciding it's time to leave, not to make a big deal out of it. I try not to make a big deal for most things anyway, "Jerry Sloan said.
Jerry Sloan, who resigned with longtime assistant coach Phil Johnson, has remained quiet throughout the press conference, jokes to relieve the pain evident on his face. Jerry Sloan refused content that he was advertised out because a dispute halftime with Deon Williams, his star player.
"I had confrontations with players since I've been in the league," he said. "But these are minor things to the extent the future. It is what it is."
"I've never had a team that did everything I wanted on the court, it is with good teams and bad teams," he said later. "I do not think most team’s bat 100 percent of what you want them to do on the court."
Greg Miller, the owner of the team, echoed these sentiments.
"Nobody chased Jerry or Phil," Miller said. "No players pushed out. [General Manager] Kevin O'Connor did not push him out, I did not push, and not the coaches moved him to. "
Miller told Sloan that came to him in the morning shoot around before to inform him of its decision. It was a Sloan night after the media must hold for over 30 minutes while he had a conversation with O'Connor in his office.
Instead of Sloan, the Jazz announced that current assistant Tyrone Corbin will coach the team next leader. Corbin told he may not bring himself to celebrate his forwarding.
"I welcome this opportunity," said Corbin. "But now I do not think it should be around me."
Jerry Sloan told he won't take another coaching, jocular that the just job he would take his wife was at home. When asked if he thought this day would come, he joked "I walked every day thinking that this would be my last day. I know it's a bit corny, but I'm a guy Nerdy. "
Jerry Sloan leaves the former longtime coach in American master sports at the time, beginning with the Jazz in 1988/89.
Share